Dombivli, a town in Kalyan tahsil is located at a distance of twenty kilometers from Thane and six kilometers from Kalyan and is a railway station on the Central Railway. In the year 1075, King Harpal Dev had referred to Dombivli on the stone inscriptions, which was situated in Mahul village, near the Turbhe Port. From this, we come to know that Dombivli village existed approximately 800 years ago. There is a reference given for Dombivli in the year 1730 during the Peshwa Rule.
The stone writings referring to its existence in the years 1396-97 still exist in Dombivli is a proof of the great heritage of Dombivli. The Portuguese stationed themselves at several places when they came to Dombivli. The stone inscriptions that existed in the year 1300 B.C. at "Agasan" have been preserved in the Museum even today.
In the 19th Century farmers cultivated Paddy and sold it in the areas from Kalyan to Mumbai.
In the past, within Dombivli also, the areas were named on the basis of the inhabitants, e.g., the areas where the THAKURS" (Tribal) lived was called "THAKURLI". The areas where the "PATHARWATS" or "STONE-CUTTERS" lived were known as "PATHARLI" and the area where the "DOMBAS" or the (low caste) lived was called "DOMBIVLI". The area Diva, Ghariwali, Agasan was the neighboring village since ancient times.
Topologically Dombivli was surrounded by the ruins of is the following villages.
- To the East the CHOLE village.
- To the West is the Airey(Aayre) village.
- To the South is the Patharli village.
- And to the North is the Thakurli village.
Intially there was a thick growth of trees such as "Karwandi", "Pendhkadi", "Fur" and "Nivdung". Animals such as "Wolves", "Foxes", "Rabbits", etc. were found here in abundance. Due to this it was very difficult for the people of the areas of Ram Nagar, Pendse Nagar, and Vishnu Nagar to walk about freely after 5.00 P.M.
In the year 1880, the first person who settled down in KOPARGAON near "Dombivli was late Shri-Narayan Atmaram Patkar. He had two ships, which he used to transport and trade in Rice and other commodities through the Kalyan Creek.
Mr. Zaveri in his unique research reports has mentioned that "Dombivli" has derived its name due to the fact that "Dombivli being situated on the shallow land was prone to the danger of being submerged in water."
Dombivli Railway Station was set-up in the year 1887. There was only one tall cabin, which was used for ticketing as well as signaling. Initially the Railway Tickets to Dombivli" was stamped as "Dimali". Efforts were also made to rename it as "Subhash Nagar.
It is a growing town and its vicinity to Mumbai and Thane and the availability of local train services from the place has given it the position of the suburb of Mumbai. Many of those employed in Bombay find their residence in Dombivli. It is evident from the fact that its population which was 8,106 as per the 1951 Census rose to 18,407 as per the 1961 Census and further to 51,108 as per the 1971 Census and further to ---- in 2001.Many co-operative housing societies have sprung up in the town where house-building activity is seen in full swing.
A big industrial complex has been developed around Dombivli by the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC).